Sunday, July 6, 2008

Sultry Sunday!!

Dear Earthlings! Today being Sunday, most of us are not going to bother dragging ourselves out of bed at all....at 1300 hrs, my brother is still sleeping, or pretending to be asleep! There was a small 5-min activity that happened today, which has my thinking cap dying to be placed back on my head. I mean, its usually considered no big deal..getting married. I see all around me and everyone I know is getting married!! And they seem to be really happy with it. I am happy to see them happy. However, it's a feeling that I don't really understand. The feeling of two souls becoming one and agreeing to staying together for the rest of their lives... that actually means, if all goes well, they will stick together for as long as they live. WOW! To me, somehow, the idea itself seems preposterous. From what I understand of being married, it means commiting to stand by each other, in all times, no matter what. However, no where it actually states that you shall not have a life of your own. Or that you cannot be your own person. No where it says that the wife shall the slave to her husband by carrying out all his wishes as commands. Yes, wife is expected to hear her husband out, however, in the usual sense of the word, it is conveniently misinterpreted as wife should always do her husband's bidding. And so and so forth. However, the cruel society places no such rules for the darling husbands!! I wonder why would people still want to stick around someone even after knowing it all!! It is usually safely assumed that women are dumb. They have no understanding of the world what so ever & should be imprisoned - not actually, but I think most of us undertand what I am talking about... However, in the recent times there has been a slight shift in this line of thought. But the shift is really minimalistic. It has more to do with men wanting to hold their control over their wives and society, and less to do with what women actually capable of. I think I can safely continue this topic tomorrow, for I am in a little bit of hurry today. Today is my Mom's birthday!! I do have little surprises planned.... all I can do is hope it all ends well!! More on what actually happened today... tomorrow!! Ciao!!

2 comments:

  1. I understand this is a very controversial topic, so feel free to leave a thoughtful or thought provoking comment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated bday to your mom from me :)

    Marriage is a complex commitment and there are various unwritten rules one must abide by. That is why there are so many jokes regarding marriage :)

    I disagree on the part about women being assumed as dumb. In a marriage the one who acts dumb and makes the other feel he/she is the smarter one, is in fact actually the truly wiser one. :)

    And I know the feeling about thinking about one's own marriage when all your friends happen to be tying the knot... sort of like falling down like dominoes. Happens to me a lot of times. But hey, the feeling will pass soon.

    ReplyDelete

Bouquets or brickbats - the choice is yours!!
Speaking your mind is most important here...